What does the law say about electronic signature?
The Law on Electronic Signature of the Republic of Lithuania prescribes that an electronic signature used for signing an electronic document shall have the same legal force as a hand-written signature in written documents and shall be admissible as evidence in court
The Law on Electronic Signature of the Republic of Lithuania prescribes that an electronic signature used for signing an electronic document shall have the same legal force as a hand-written signature in written documents and shall be admissible as evidence in court.
The Law says that a qualified certificate means a digital certificate issued by an accredited certification service provider who fulfils the requirements laid down by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania or its authorised institution.
The Law defines electronic signature as data, which are inserted, attached to or logically associated with other data for the purpose of confirming the authenticity of the latter and (or) identification of the signatory. The Law prohibits transferring an e-signature password – sPIN – and a storage device (a USB token or a smart card) containing an e-signature to another person.
Important to know!
Five things you need to know before buying elektroninis.lt
- The elektroninis.lt e-signature is issued to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania who have reached the age of majority and to foreigners holding permits for permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania.
- The e-signature must be linked to a person’s identity, therefore the elektroninis.lt e-signature is issued only to natural persons. Electronic documents of legal entities (companies, institutions, organizations) are always signed on their behalf by their authorized representatives using their personal e-signatures.
- The Law prohibits transferring an e-signature password – sPIN – and an e-signature storage device to another person.
- The elektroninis.lt e-signature can be installed only in secure storage devices, which meet the requirements for security levels as stipulated by law.
- Elektroninis.lt signature certificates are valid for 2 years.
What are the uses of elektroninis.lt?
Identify, sign electronic documents, approve financial transactions and more.
- Identify. Log in to e-banking systems, e-government service portals or other online information systems with elektroninis.lt. Make sure to remember your elektroninis.lt password (sPIN) and in the future you will no longer need to create or change your passwords or ask to be reminded of forgotten ones.
- Sign electronic documents. After you sign a document with your elektroninis.lt signature and transmit it electronically, you will no longer need to run from one authority to another with paper-printed documents. State and municipal authorities must respond to e-signed and electronically (for example, by e-mail) submitted documents in the same way as to paper-printed ones. E-signed contracts in digital format (for example, in the widespread PDF format) have the same force and effect as paper-printed and hand-signed ones. A digital document, signed with the electronic signature of a company’s or organization’s representative, has the same legal force and effect as a paper-printed and hand-signed one, confirmed by the official stamp of that company or organization.
- Approve financial transactions. For execution of payment orders in e-banking systems, you can use the elektroninis.lt e-signature, which is equivalent to a code card or a code generator.
What are the benefits of the elektroninis.lt signature?
The elektroninis.lt e-signature is simultaneously both your passport and signature on the Internet and in the rest of the world of information technologies.
The elektroninis.lt e-signature uniquely and securely identifies its owner in cyberspace, opens up access to online banking and e-government services, and allows to set up and run a company or organization via the Internet:
- When using your e-signature to log in to information systems, you do not need to remember many passwords – in most cases, only one single e-signature password, the so-called PIN or sPIN, is sufficient.
- When handling finances through online banking means, the elektroninis.lt signature replaces code cards and code generators.
- Elektroninis.lt will help you save time and money. For example, the e-signature technology-based setting up of a new company by electronic means costs 2-3 times cheaper and takes considerably less time than the same procedure using printed documents.
What does the elektroninis.lt e-signature consist of?
Elektroninis.lt consists of two qualified digital certificates, one of which is intended for personal identification and the other one – for signing.
Elektroninis.lt consists of two qualified
digital certificates issued by the State Enterprise Centre of Registers:
- a digital certificate intended for personal identification is an electronic attestation of personal identity. It links the electronic signature verification data to the signatory and confirms or allows identifying the signatory.
- a digital certificate intended for signing ensures the validity of the data, signed with the electronic signature, and their protection against falsification. The functioning of the certificate is based on asymmetric encryption technology.
A qualified digital certificate is recognized as appropriate and reliable at the national and international levels. The elektroninis.lt digital certificate contains an expiration date, your personal data and other important information